Palmetto CompressHomepage / Multi-Family
Originally built in 1917, it is one of only three buildings of its type and size remaining in the country and is recognized on the National Register of Historic Places. It originally served as a cotton compress facility and was one of the largest cotton warehouses in the state. The building actually faced demolition in 2012 but was saved by a grassroots effort. This rehabilitation project focused on preserving the original warehouse form, while giving it new life as an apartment and retail building. It houses one, two, and three bedroom apartments and includes a state of the art fitness area, open air atrium, covered porches, and two large bays for retail. Palmetto Compress has won multiple awards for historic preservation and now helps anchor a transforming district between downtown Columbia and the riverfront.